Hello. I’m Julia Gordon, mum of boy/girl twins in year 1 and the chair of the Gayhurst Parents Association for the 2020/2021 academic year. I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and the GPA team and to give you a bit of background as to the GPA’s role.
The GPA has four main objectives:
- to arrange social activities and events for the benefit of the School community
- raise funds for the benefit of the School and chosen charities
- provide a welcoming service for new parents
- help foster positive relationships between staff, parents and others associated with the school
Examples of social events from previous years include the annual firework display, pantomime trips, parents quiz nights, Easter/Christmas fetes and a summer ball. With Covid 19 related restrictions the school and GPA will be facing challenges this year as to what we are able to organise, but please rest assured we will aim to be as imaginative as possible to come up with some events that could work whilst abiding by the most current guidelines.
In the past year the GPA has raised funds for school projects such as a set of new iPads for the junior school, new playground equipment and outdoor picnic tables. It has also committed to make a 50% contribution to the installation of a canopy for the junior school.
The GPA is made up of myself as Chair, Julianne Li as Treasurer, Janice Dingley as Secretary, Sarah Laventure as Social Media coordinator and Kat Holohon as coordinator for the Accelerated Reader Programme. Each year group is then represented by a small number of volunteers as parent representatives and finally we have a team of volunteers who look after the school shop.
The role of the parent representatives is to:
- act as a communication link between the school/teachers and the parents
- attend the parents’ forum each term
- collate contact information and birthday information for the year group and keep it up to date
- arrange collections for end of term/leaving gifts for teachers
- arrange year group social events
- sit on the GPA committee and disseminate GPA information to parents in their year group
- help out at GPA events
I’m really looking forward to working with the GPA team this year and getting to meet many of you. Please do reach out to me or any of the team if you have anything you wish to raise or any ideas you have for socially-distanced activities!
You can reach me on firstname.lastname@example.org