Full Governing Board
The Full Governing Board and each of its committees, Education, Marketing and Finance & General Purposes, meet termly but more frequently if required. Additional committees such as a Development Committee, are established as necessary. Additional non-voting members can be co-opted onto committees where specific skill sets are required for projects. The aim of the Full Governing Board of Gayhurst is to give each pupil an opportunity to achieve their potential in academic, cultural and sporting pursuits. The three committees support these aims and work towards the success of the school. The Full Board ratifies all decisions and policies reviewed by the three committees and considers all matters which do not fit within a specific committees terms of reference.
The remit of the Education Committee is to provide oversight, input and direction as required to all education matters at the school. Decisions or recommendations are made on behalf of the entire Governing Body.
Membership of the Education Committee is, at a minimum, four Governors including the Chair of the Governing Body acting as an ex-officio member. In addition, the Headmaster, Deputy Head Teacher and Bursar attend, providing valuable, professional insight into matters discussed.
All relevant aspects of the education of our pupils is considered, under the guiding principle of providing the best start in life for our students within a happy and caring environment.
There is a regular programme of Teacher presentations covering all educational departments which are open to all Governors. The committee also considers issues covering:
- Staffing – appointments, departures, issues
- Pupils – admissions and year numbers, issues and achievements
- Curriculum – intra and extra
- Development – plans and progress of the school, including the physical site of the school
- Education related policies / procedures – ongoing reviews, maintenance of school policies and ensuring compliance of statutory government requirements.
- Education risk management in all areas of the school, including school trips
- Inspection – planning for and responding to recommendations
Admissions and Marketing Committee
The membership of the Committee includes a minimum of 3 governors, the Headmaster, Deputy Head teacher, Bursar and the Admissions & Marketing Director. The Chair of Governors is an ex-officio member. Acting on behalf of the entire Governing Body the Marketing Committee focuses on all the relevant aspects of marketing and admissions including:
- In conjunction with the Headmaster, the appointment and management of the Marketing and Admissions Director.
- Overseeing the development of a long term marketing strategy.
- Overseeing the development and monitoring of an annual marketing plan.
- The monitoring of the admissions system.
- Setting and agreeing with the General Purposes and Finance Committee an annual marketing budget and monitoring it.
- Assisting with all the various communications and publications of the School, ensuring their appropriateness, depending on audience
- Planning for and responding to outside inspection.
- Reviewing all marketing an admissions related school policies.
Finance and General Purposes Committee
The membership of the Finance & General Purposes Committee includes a minimum of three Governors, the Headmaster, Deputy head teacher, Bursar, and Chair of Governors. The committee focuses on all aspects of finance and general matters including:
- Staffing levels, appointments, salaries and other terms
- Accounting compliance including compliance with Charities Acts and Companies Acts
- Setting and monitoring Annual Budgets, cash flow projections and financial performance
- Setting Strategic Financial Targets including, but not limited to, funding, borrowing, reserves, surplus levels, fee setting, investments
- Managing fee concessions, bursaries etc. as well as fee debtors and fee recovery procedures.
- Delegating financial powers to the Bursar and other staff e.g. cheque signing limits, expenditure approval limits, power to sign contracts etc.
- Building maintenance, insurances and general expenditure
- Monitoring and advising on the school’s management systems and mitigation of risk, including conducting a rolling risk management survey.
- Monitoring and advising on the school’s health and safety arrangements, its buildings, plant and vehicles, grounds, gardens, roadways, and security.
- Receiving reports, reviewing, monitoring implementation, considering changes, and where required making recommendations on the: planned Maintenance Programme; Revenue and capital budgets to maintain the buildings and estate to the required standard and school development plan.
- Having regard to the regulations and receiving reports, reviewing, monitoring compliance and making recommendations on all school policies covering risk, health and safety and finance.
- Considering reports from the other committees and their financial implications.
Mr W. Gibbs
He is the grandson of Stormont Gibbs who bought the school in 1927 and moved it to its present site. He is married with two children and was educated at the school. His father was a previous Chairman of Governors. He currently lives in Ireland which he has represented at cricket.
To contact the Governing Body please write to:
C/O Mrs Vanessa Lakatos (Bursar and Clerk to Governors)
Gayhurst School, Bull Lane, Gerrards Cross, Buckighamshire, SL9 8RJ
Telephone: 01753 882690 (asking for Mrs Lakatos)