Full Governing Board
The Full Governing Board and each of its committees, Education, Marketing and Finance & General Purposes, meet termly but more frequently if required. Additional committees such as a Development Committee, are established as necessary. Additional non-voting members can be co-opted onto committees where specific skill sets are required for projects. The aim of the Full Governing Board of Gayhurst is to give each pupil an opportunity to achieve their potential in academic, cultural and sporting pursuits. The three committees support these aims and work towards the success of the school. The Full Board ratifies all decisions and policies reviewed by the three committees and considers all matters which do not fit within a specific committees terms of reference.
The remit of the Education Committee is to provide oversight, input and direction as required to all education matters at the school. Decisions or recommendations are made on behalf of the entire Governing Body.
Membership of the Education Committee is, at a minimum, four Governors including the Chair of the Governing Body acting as an ex-officio member. In addition, the Headmaster, Deputy Head Teacher and Bursar attend, providing valuable, professional insight into matters discussed.
All relevant aspects of the education of our pupils is considered, under the guiding principle of providing the best start in life for our students within a happy and caring environment.
There is a regular programme of Teacher presentations covering all educational departments which are open to all Governors. The committee also considers issues covering:
- Staffing – appointments, departures, issues
- Pupils – admissions and year numbers, issues and achievements
- Curriculum – intra and extra
- Development – plans and progress of the school, including the physical site of the school
- Education related policies / procedures – ongoing reviews, maintenance of school policies and ensuring compliance of statutory government requirements.
- Education risk management in all areas of the school, including school trips
- Inspection – planning for and responding to recommendations
Admissions and Marketing Committee
The membership of the Committee includes a minimum of 3 governors, the Headmaster, Deputy Head teacher, Bursar and the Admissions & Marketing Director. The Chair of Governors is an ex-officio member. Acting on behalf of the entire Governing Body the Marketing Committee focuses on all the relevant aspects of marketing and admissions including:
- In conjunction with the Headmaster, the appointment and management of the Marketing and Admissions Director.
- Overseeing the development of a long term marketing strategy.
- Overseeing the development and monitoring of an annual marketing plan.
- The monitoring of the admissions system.
- Setting and agreeing with the General Purposes and Finance Committee an annual marketing budget and monitoring it.
- Assisting with all the various communications and publications of the School, ensuring their appropriateness, depending on audience
- Planning for and responding to outside inspection.
- Reviewing all marketing an admissions related school policies.
Finance and General Purposes Committee
The membership of the Finance & General Purposes Committee includes a minimum of three Governors, the Headmaster, Deputy head teacher, Bursar, and Chair of Governors. The committee focuses on all aspects of finance and general matters including:
- Staffing levels, appointments, salaries and other terms
- Accounting compliance including compliance with Charities Acts and Companies Acts
- Setting and monitoring Annual Budgets, cash flow projections and financial performance
- Setting Strategic Financial Targets including, but not limited to, funding, borrowing, reserves, surplus levels, fee setting, investments
- Managing fee concessions, bursaries etc. as well as fee debtors and fee recovery procedures.
- Delegating financial powers to the Bursar and other staff e.g. cheque signing limits, expenditure approval limits, power to sign contracts etc.
- Building maintenance, insurances and general expenditure
- Monitoring and advising on the school’s management systems and mitigation of risk, including conducting a rolling risk management survey.
- Monitoring and advising on the school’s health and safety arrangements, its buildings, plant and vehicles, grounds, gardens, roadways, and security.
- Receiving reports, reviewing, monitoring implementation, considering changes, and where required making recommendations on the: planned Maintenance Programme; Revenue and capital budgets to maintain the buildings and estate to the required standard and school development plan.
- Having regard to the regulations and receiving reports, reviewing, monitoring compliance and making recommendations on all school policies covering risk, health and safety and finance.
- Considering reports from the other committees and their financial implications.
Mr W. Gibbs
He is the grandson of Stormont Gibbs who bought the school in 1927 and moved it to its present site. He is married with two children and was educated at the school. His father was a previous Chairman of Governors. He currently lives in Ireland which he has represented at cricket.
Mr R. Thompson (Chair)
Richard Thompson BA (Education)
Mr Thompson, having been Head of Berkhamsted Boys, is now Assistant Vice Principal of Berkhamsted School. He is married to Laura who teaches in Berkhamsted Pre-Prep and has a son who attends Berkhamsted Boys. Mr Thompson’s passion outside education lies with sport.
Mrs A. Borwick
Mrs A. Dusek
Angela Dusek, University of Gothenburg, Sweden – School of Business, Economics and Law. M.Sc in International Business, International Marketing and Management (Admissions & Marketing)
Mrs Dusek moved with her family to Gerrards Cross in 2007 and both her boy and girl attended Gayhurst school throughout their primary school years. Her children are now at local secondary Grammar schools. Mrs Dusek’s professional background is in sales/ marketing and relationship management within the financial sector. Originally from Bulgaria, she grew up in Sweden and later lived in Frankfurt, Germany before moving to London. Mrs Dusek has recently worked as an estate agent in the area for 8 years and set up her own relocation business. She is also on the steering committee for the Gayhurstian Association – GHA – and has been heavily involved in the GPA and Girls at Gayhurst previously.
Mr N. Garner
Nick is an entrepreneur and digital marketing specialist. He is married with 2 children, both of whom attended Gayhurst School. His outside interests include property investment and supporting organisations who drive positive social change.
Mrs Z. MacKinnon
Zilla MacKinnon MB, Chb, MRCP, FRCPCH, National Board Examination, USA, American Academy Paediatrics Board Certified (Education)
Mrs MacKinnon’s career has covered paediatric posts at the Royal Hospitals for Sick Children Glasgow and Manchester, Westminster Children’s Hospital, Cornell University (USA), John Radcliffe Hospital and Wexham Park Hospital. She is currently the Director of children’s services at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. She is also a Senior Lecturer at Oxford University. In addition to her work she has held roles, often statutory, in Children’s Safeguarding.
The mother of three children, two of whom attended Gayhurst School, she also holds committee/trustee roles at the Rennie Grove Hospice and Cure2Children.
Mr S. Potts
Simon is a chartered accountant who qualified in the UK after graduating from the Australian National University. He has worked in the risk management industry for over 20 years, and spent a number of years in San Francisco before returning to the UK. He has two daughters; the youngest of whom attended Gayhurst, and is now at Queen Anne’s Caversham.
Mr C. Pugh
Charles Pugh. (F&GP)
Charles Pugh is a solicitor and partner in the London law firm, Oury Clark. He has two children, one of whom Matthew attended Gayhurst School. His outside interests include hockey for Gerrards Cross Hockey Club and sport generally.
Ms E. Halliday
Elizabeth Halliday (aka Elizabeth Welch) FRICS (F&GP)
Elizabeth was a Director of Jones Lang LaSalle responsible for advising Corporate Companies for many years. More recently she has founded her own property consultancy company.
Prior to moving to Gerrards Cross her 2 boys were educated at a co-educational school in London and then they enjoyed attending Gayhurst. From there they both went to The Royal Grammar School and then on to read languages at University.
Her interests include playing tennis at Bull Lane, singing in the Village Voices Choir, quilting and she is learning to play saxophone.
Miss T. Hartley
Mr A. Wallace
Andy Rudak is an Advertising photographer with 20+ years experience in the industry, having worked in London and New York. He settled in Buckinghamshire around 7 years ago with his family. Both his son and daughter attended Gayhurst School..
To contact the Governing Body please write to:
C/O Mrs Vanessa Lakatos (Bursar and Clerk to Governors)
Gayhurst School, Bull Lane, Gerrards Cross, Buckighamshire, SL9 8RJ
Telephone: 01753 882690 (asking for Mrs Lakatos)